Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mexican Pate and Tomato-Lime Salsa on Romaine Lettuce Leaves with Avocado-Corn Guacamole

This was an ambitious project. Preparing a dish with a sunflower seed-based pate and two toppings is a gourmet project for me. I usually keep things simple for my family. However, once I get through with all the chopping, I am surprised and rewarded by how delicious it is.

I used the Mexican Pate recipe from Alive in 5 and the Spicy "Beans" recipe in Raw Food Real World to make the Mexican Pate recipe. Does that mean I can call it my own?

Mexican Pate:
2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked overnight (my note: The seeds expand to 3 cups. I love it when that happens. I feel like I'm making my money stretch.)
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked for 1 hour or more
1 tablespoon miso (my note: I used sweet white miso)
2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon raw agave nectar
1 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons filtered water or soaking water from sun dried tomatoes
3 green onions, chopped
1 small handful fresh cilantro

In a food processor, grind the sunflower seeds, tomatoes, miso, Mexican seasoning, olive oil, agave, and sea salt until thoroughly combined. Add the sun dried tomato soak water a few tablespoons at a time and process further until smooth or dough-like. Add chopped green onions and cilantro and pulse gently.

Tomato-Lime Salsa from Raw Food Real World:
3 cups finely chopped, seeded tomatoes (my note: I like to use romas. I didn't take the time to seed them.)
3 tablespoons lime juice (my note: Fresh-squeezed is best.)
1 handful cilantro leaves, finely choppe
1/2 small jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped (my note: I like to use anaheim or cubanelle because they are mild. When I make this for my family, I don't use too much.)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

In a medium bowl, combine the salsa ingredients and taste for seasoning.

Avocado-Corn Guacamole from Raw Food Real World:
3 ripe avocados, pitted
1 cup fresh corn kernels, cut from 1 ear (or use thawed frozen corn)
1 large handful cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely minced (my note: I usually omit this ingredient)
1 teaspoon sea salt

In a medium bowl, mash the avocados with a fork. Add the corn, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and salt and stir well to combine. If not using immediately, cover the surface of the guacamole with plastic wrap and refrigerate. This will only keep for about a day or so. (my note: I'm sure why Raw Food Real World says use plastic wrap. I would think an air-tight lid would be fine.

Serve it all on romaine lettuce leaves with some lime wedges on the side. It's great!

1 comment:

Dilip said...

Looks neat! You have a very nice talent in working with living foods! Thanks for sharing. --Dilip