Thursday, October 23, 2008

Seaweed and Cucumber Salad


This is a delicious salad! I changed the original recipe which is called Wakame Cucumber Salad, found in Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Food. I added some dulse, and a tablespoon more of lemon juice and a tablespoon more of nama shoyu. Alissa Cohen calls for Bragg Liquid Aminos, instead of nama shoyu.

Wakame is a very chewy seaweed. Whenever I make this salad, my girls usually ask for a peice of wakame. Wakame is a crunchy seaweed that takes some time to chew.

2 cups of wakame, coarsely chopped (soaked 2 hours minimum)
1 large or 2 small cucumbers, sliced very thinly
1 cup dulse, coarsely chopped (soaked 2 minutes)
1/4 red onion, diced
3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
4 tablespoons nama shoyu

Combine the seaweeds, cucumber, and red onion in a bowl. Mix the lemon juice and nama shoyu together and add it to the salad. Toss together and serve.

NOTE: I check the seaweed for shells and rocks and those little tiny things that I don't want to eat/serve. Soaking the wakame is important because it is very chewy. I use a pair kitchen scissors to cut the wakame and dulse into smaller pieces. I also remove those really tough wakame pieces that look like ribs. I also peel most of the cucumber skin off, leaving only 2 strips of skin on the cucumber. For me, and my daughters actually, it makes the cukes easier to chew. I guess it's a texture thing. Another thing, I also buy my seaweed in bulk from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables. Seaweed is ridiculously expsensive in the store.

No comments: